Tuesday, June 9, 2015

ON BEING LIKEABLE

"I think that what our society teaches young girls, and I think it’s also something that’s quite difficult for even older women and self-professed feminists to shrug off, is that idea that likability is an essential part of you, of the space you occupy in the world, that you’re supposed to twist yourself into shapes to make yourself likable, that you’re supposed to hold back sometimes, pull back, don’t quite say, don’t be too pushy, because you have to be likable.
And I say that’s bullshit.
So what I want to say to young girls is forget about likability. If you start thinking about being likable you are not going to tell your story honestly, because you are going to be so concerned with not offending, and that’s going to ruin your story, so forget about likability. And also the world is such a wonderful, diverse, and multifaceted place that there’s somebody who’s going to like you; you don’t need to twist yourself into shapes."
- Writer Chimamanda Ngozi 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you very much, and I also like your content. From now on, I will continue to follow your articles.
    By the way,I like custom iphone case

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...